Get into position
Use a position that prevents your child from wiggling while giving you a free hand to move their lips or cheeks so you can see. Here are some proven positions that work:
Attack plaque from the back!
- Stand behind rather than in front of your child (you may have to get down on one knee).
- Have your child tilt his or her chin up and look at the sky.
- Rest your child’s head against your shoulder or against your upper arm.
- Place your arms on either side of your child’s head.
- Use the hand not holding the toothbrush to pull back your child’s lips or cheek so you can see (figure 1).
As your child grows, you may find it easier to sit on a chair or couch and have your child sit on the floor between your legs, with his or her head tilted back (figure 2).